Retail is one of the largest industries in the United States, as well as globally. Because the retail industry employs so many workers (skilled and unskilled) and involves myriad establishments (both “bricks and mortar” and online), it is not surprising that retail activity has become entwined with the basic economic fabric of our nation. As the U.S. economy continues to rebound from the recession and grow stronger, retail activity increases.
At Epstein Becker Green, we have gained extensive knowledge of the retail industry’s culture, practice, and importance, which proves invaluable in working with our retail clients. We realize that the more we know about a retail client’s business setting, the more effective we can be in our advice and representation. Our attorneys approach each matter with the goal of obtaining a thorough understanding of the issue, and then responding promptly and efficiently to resolve it to the client’s satisfaction.
For more than three decades, Epstein Becker Green has been advising and representing retail clients on a wide array of matters that impact their businesses. A few examples of our services include:
- Advising clients in the retail industry on all aspects of the employment relationship
- Assisting with regulatory matters regarding the establishment of health care clinics in retail pharmacies
- Conducting wage-hour, human resource, and compliance audits for retail companies
- Designing franchising programs and expansions for start-up and mature retail franchise systems
- Drafting worldwide policies and procedures related to global retail operations
- Handling the bankruptcies and out-of-court restructurings of numerous major retailers
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements for countless retail and service unions
- Representing and defending retail clients in connection with federal, state, and local administrative charges and in mediations, arbitrations, and lawsuits
- Representing retail clients in the purchase, sale, lease, development, and construction of retail properties
Epstein Becker Green’s Experience with Broad Range of Retail Clients
We routinely advise and represent U.S. retail operations of all types and sizes, including, but not limited to:
- Apparel stores
- Big-box stores
- Department stores
- Discount stores
- Grocery stores
- Luxury retailers
- Online retailers
- Specialty stores
Depending upon the nature of the matter we are handling for a retail client, we can and often do draw upon the knowledge and experience of attorneys in all of our national practices to develop a comprehensive strategy that will meet that client’s needs. Our deep pool of talented professionals with diverse experience in the retail industry positions us to offer our clients innovative, interdisciplinary strategies designed to produce legally and fiscally sound results.